Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Adventures of August

August is in a "No, Mine" phase.  He has no problem grabbing something from his brother and yelling, "MINE!"  Everything is his...even John's dirty underwear.  I think sibling rivalry is worse when you have two of the same sex.  Gus takes the rivalry to a new level.  He wants and demands everything John has.  Even if the boys have the exact same toy, Gus still wants the one John has.  Gus spends some days crying a lot because he doesn't get his way.  If you ask Gus, he never gets his way.

It is amazing to me how much faster your second child picks up on things just from watching the first.  August is learning how to do things a lot earlier than John did.  I don't think John started moving chairs around the kitchen to get things off of the counters until he was close to three.  Gus has been doing this for about 5 months now.  Cooking has become a lot harder for me with two little "helpers" that have no listening skills and zero sense of danger.  I actually just sold our kitchen table and chairs and Gus spent the whole first day whining because he couldn't get to anything on the counter.

While Gus is learning some of the not so adorable things an older kid can do, he is also learning some of the sweetest things.  He constantly enters a room, smiles and says "Hi, Mommy."  The other day, out of the blue, he walked up to Hans and said, "Daddy, I love you."  It just melted my heart.  I'll take the chair pushing, sibling rivalry and screaming of "mine" any day to hear my son tell me he loves me.

No comments: