Monday, August 9, 2010

There Were Three in the Bed and the Little One said, "Mommy, You Won't be Sleeping Much Tonight."

Traveling is getting more and more interesting.  Staying with family isn't bad at all...but hotels are another story. I booked a hotel in Amarillo to break up the trip from Denver to Dallas.  When I got there I realized the hotel didn't have portable cribs so Gus was going to have to sleep with me.  When I got to the room I realized that we had a king bed, which meant both boys would be sleeping with me.  I didn't think this would be a problem.  I mean, the boys aren't that big.  We should have been able to sleep in this bed without touching each other.  Should being the key word.

A new strange place means spending five minutes sitting and staring at the room and then the next several hours touching, smelling, licking and slobbering over every square inch.  The boys were just a little hyper and I was tired.  After feeding and changing them into pajamas I convinced John to get in on one side of the bed and lay still so Gus would think he was sleeping.  The plan worked so well for John that he actually fell asleep.  Gus kept trying to wake him up with kisses and hugs, but my big boy was down for the count.  Gus wasn't as easy to get down.  I laid on the other side of the bed so Gus was in between John and myself and tried to get him to stay still for 5 seconds.  I knew if I could get him to stay still for at least 5 seconds he would zonked just like John.  Gus just wouldn't hear of it.  He would lay on his belly, then turn to his back, then side.  Then he would lay with his head by our feet or curl into a ball.  His actions reminded me of a dog trying to find the perfect spot.  After an hour of this (and no, I am not exaggerating) he finally went to sleep.  No one was touching any one else.  It was good...for about 5 minutes.

5 minutes of peaceful sleep was all I got before I got elbowed in the eye.  John was inching closer and closer to Gus and Gus was starting his whole restless process over again.  This went on all night.  I do remember that at one point during the night I was sound asleep on about an inch's worth of mattress, and woke to the sound of a thud and then some crying.  Gus had worked his way to the end of the bed and fallen off.  When I went to pick him up he was still sleeping!  I should have left him on the floor, but I didn't.  Picking him up and putting him back on the bed woke him up and so we started the process over again...for the hundredth time.  I gave up around 6:30 and just woke the boys up so we could get back on the road.   This isn't something I care to repeat in my lifetime.  Through an exorbitant amount of caffeine I was able to make it to my parents before crashing.  I am thankful the boys are in their own room and in their own beds.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Oh, no!!! I hope you get some rest at your mom and dad's. I know it probably wasn't funny at the time but hopefully you can all laugh about it one day!

Enjoy your vacation!