Saturday, November 14, 2009

An Amazing Story

Hans wrote this after a recent experience with a young man dying of brain cancer. It is a wonderful story.  This event happened Friday evening, November 13, 2009.


***Update***  Dominick passed away Sunday morning, November 15, 2009.  Dominick's family is in our prayers.  We rejoice as he is now with our Father in Heaven and suffers no more.


Dominick

Tonight, I baptized Dominick with water from a macaroni and cheese stained cereal bowl as about 25 people gathered around his bed in the 11 x 10 living room of his home.


Dominick is dying of brain cancer. I met him three days ago, after one of my members, who is very close with his family, asked me to pray with Dominick, his wife and their children.


When I first walked into their house, I was immediately shocked by the man's appearance. Dominick is extremely emaciated, to the point of looking like the concentration camp survivors whose pictures I'll never forget seeing in middle school history books. A tumor is bulging out of his forehead. He is unable to speak, but can answer 'yes' and 'no' questions by squeezing your hand.


After talking and praying with his family the other day, I asked his wife if Dominick had been baptized. She said he had been, at least she thought his mom had said that he had been. But upon further investigation with Dominick's mother, apparently this turned out not to be the case.


And so, tonight, I read to the gathering of his friends and family from Romans 6. I talked to them about Christ's death and resurrection, about our Lord's mercy and forgiveness, and about the new life that He gives in His saving waters. I prayed with them. I went through the baptismal rite as Dominick's children, his wife, his parents and his friends wept. I held Dominck's hand and told him to squeeze mine for 'yes' when I asked him if he believed in the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. And after that, I baptized Dominick with water from a macaroni and cheese stained cereal bowl as about 25 people gathered around his bed in the 11 x 10 living room of his home.


And in that 11 x 10 room, the poor, miserable sinner that I am, so unworthy of Christ’s call to be a pastor, I was blessed to watch as the devil was crushed underneath the weight of our Lord’s forgiveness.


I was blessed to watch as a man, dead in sin, was given new life in the waters of Holy Baptism. I was blessed to watch as that same man’s dying flesh was given the right to rest in hope because it has now been united to the resurrected flesh of Jesus Christ.


I was blessed to watch as Christ’s Word of hope strengthened those children who have been watching their father die before their young eyes. I was blessed to watch as Christ’s promise of the Resurrection refused to let the devil and his despair penetrate those children’s tears.


I was blessed to hear a mother, a woman who has never set foot in a sacramental church in her life, confess the truth of this Sacrament when she comforted her children with the words, “its ok. Daddy’s saved now. Daddy’s saved now.”


Tonight, I baptized Dominick with water from a macaroni and cheese stained cereal bowl as about 25 people gathered around his bed in the 11 x 10 living room of his home. And in the midst of such great humility, in the midst of such great suffering, in the midst of such great heartache and fear and pain, Jesus Christ spoke His Word of forgiveness. He spoke His Word of mercy, of hope, of glory. And I can’t even begin to describe how blessed I am to have witnessed this miracle.


Some days, it’s great to be a pastor.



No comments: