Thursday, October 1, 2009

6 months old


It is amazing how much changes in a month, or even a day.  We took Gus in for his 6 month appointment Monday and he is 19 1/2 pounds and 27 inches long. He is just such a big boy, but Hans and I remember John being much more of a rolly polly.  I guess even as a baby everyone carries their weight differently.


This is John at 6 months

This is Gus at 6 months

 Gus is majorly teething which means some days he is majorly grumpy.  These are always the days that John decides he wants to bug Gus the most.  So far he has one tooth poking through and I don't think it will be long before he has one or two more.


Gus has been sitting up on his own for a few weeks now but every so often when he reaches for a toy he falls over since he hasn't learned to compensate for the weight of his big head!  I can see him flexing his stomach muscles to try to sit back up so I think it won't be much longer before he able to get to a sitting position on his own which means crawling isn't far off.



I have realized that when you have more than one child the youngest child's order of learning is very different.  Since John was the first we gave him 100% of our attention and didn't have to share or be constantly bugged by an older sibling.  I spend lots of time with Gus, but he does not have 100% of my attention 100% of the time.  Along with having another kid to spend time with there is also cooking, cleaning and laundry to keep up so Gus is not constantly being entertain, by me anyways. He has, however, learned to entertain himself...my little sweet Gus has learned that if he screams loudly I'll come running in the room and John usually got in trouble, that is until I saw that Gus was shrieking when John wasn't anywhere near him! I think this is Gus' payback for getting picked on all the time.  The latest bout of sibling rivalry is quite funny.  Gus will be playing on the floor with toys all around and John will come and sit near him and play with one of the toys.  Now, the toy John has chosen is not a toy Gus was playing with, but Gus will start screaming.  One day I asked John to give Gus the toy to see if that was what he was screaming about and John willingly gave Gus the toy and then picked up another toy and started to play.  Gus happily took the toy from John and started to play, but then he looked at John and saw he had another toy and started screaming and reaching for the new toy...what a stinker!!!  Needless to say, Gus is already learning you don't always get what you want.

This is my favorite picture of him eating his feet 


No comments: