Friday, October 23, 2009

7 months

I can't believe August is 7 months old today.  Time is going by so fast.  Gus doesn't have to go to the doctor's office until 9 months so I don't have official stats, but I am pretty sure he is 27 3/4 inches long and 20 pounds.  The last time we went to the doctor my suspicions were confirmed that we were feeding him too much formula.  I think I was trying to compensate for the fact that he wasn't eating any baby food and he was pretty fussy (he has two teeth now).  So when in doubt, we fed.  Not such a good idea. Food is still a struggle, but we are working through it.


Other than the eating issues, Gus is doing very well.  He can get from sitting to a crawling position without hurting himself and Hans saw him briefly crawl last night, but he was too mad and hungry to repeat the process for me.


 

 
Mostly he just scoots around the room and tries to get John's trains, crayons and coloring book.  John is actually handling this pretty well, meaning he doesn't hit Gus.  He just sits there and screams at the top of his lungs like he is being attacked.  I guess I should be thankful he hasn't given Gus a black eye...yet.


John saw this picture and said, "Look mom, I'm kicking Gus."  At least he's honest.





Gus also loves his johnny jump up.  As long as he can see you he is pretty content to bounce in this thing for a long while.  Even when he is ready to get out he'll cry but still be bouncing.


Last but most certainly not least, my baby is sleeping through the night!!!  I'm not sure how I ever made it through my high school or college years, or even through John being a newborn, but I need sleep.  While Gus was only getting up once a night I was still barely functioning during the day and my poor husband was getting the brunt of my bad moods.  I decided for the sake of my sanity, my marriage and my husband's hope of having more children that I needed to let Gus cry it out.  Since we were feeding him the one time a night he would awaken, I thought I would ease Gus into this whole idea by going in and rocking him back to sleep the first couple of nights.  This turned out to not be such a good idea.  The first night I went in his room to rock him which just seemed to make him more and more angry. After we finally just left him alone he went to sleep.  The second night he cried for only 5 minutes and now, with the exception of one freakish night, he sleeps through the night. I feel like a new person, I should have done this months ago!





No comments: