Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Adventures of August

See this kid?
This kid is stubborn.  Extremely stubborn.  Don't let his initial quietness fool you.  Don't let his impossibly cute smile, gruff voice and contagious laugh lead you to believe this kid would never take a stand.  Gus feels the need to take a stand on about 15 random things a day.  Sometimes it is utterly exhausting.  Gus's latest displays of stubbornness involve food.  The list of foods he finds acceptable has gradually dwindled down, leaving only chocolate peanut butter (Jiff's version of Nutella) sandwiches and chips.  I only cook one dinner a night in my house.  I am not, nor will I ever be, a short order cook.  You eat what I have, or you don't eat.  That is your choice.  More often than not, Gus finds my meals unacceptable.  Mostly likely because I don't serve peanut butter sandwiches and chips.  It isn't like I'm placing a bowl of weird looking vegetables in front of him.  And it isn't that I am asking him to love everything he eats.  I'm asking him to try.  And apparently that is asking too much. 

This sweet little boy has gone to bed more times than I can count with out eating dinner.  Often times he will leave the table with his dinner untouched and then come to us a few hours later and tell us he is hungry.  He suddenly becomes full when he sees us pull his dinner plate from the fridge.  He REFUSES to try even one small bite.  He thinks one day he will win this fight.  But slowly Gus is coming to realize is that he has one stubborn mom.  Don't let my blue eyes, big smile and friendly personality fool you either.  I'm probably one of the most stubborn people I know.  (Editor's note: This is true.)  I just don't feel the need to be stubborn about everything under the sun, because I'm not 3 and am logical:-)

No comments: