Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Tales of John

I have to admit I'm not ready to laugh about this incident yet.  And it happened over a week ago.  I know someday I will laugh.

Sometime last week I was being yelled at from the basement.  When I went to the door to yell back and say "Don't Yell!" I saw a good sized hole in the wall right at the bottom of the stairs.  I honestly didn't blame my children first, which is a first.  I was quickly trying to remember if we had just moved any pieces of furniture down there....no.  Then, since the hole was in the area where Fritz stays while we are gone I thought maybe he did it.  I decided to ask John if he knew anything about it.  I called the boys over and pointed to the hole.

"Do you know what happened here?"
Gus immediately became enthralled with the hole, my first sign he had nothing to do with the hole getting there.  (But most assuredly he will have something to do with the hole getting bigger.)  I then looked at John.
"Do you know?"
He immediately looked to the floor and the tears started.  "Yes."
"Well, what happened?  Were you angry and decided to kick the wall?"
"No, I just wanted to see what was behind it."
"You weren't mad?"
"No, I did it quietly and calmly.  You didn't even hear me and you were right upstairs."

The end of this story is that John now knows he need to ask before destroying things and, in the next few days, he will learn how to repair drywall.  Repairing drywall is a very useful skill to have, so I don't feel bad about this at all.

Oh- and my prediction was correct.  Between Fritz, Gus and Anders, the hole has gotten bigger.

2 comments:

Marcia said...

Well, we are laughing here...especially at the last comment!

A certain 2 1/2 year old put a hole in my wall once - by slamming the front door into the wall. The door knob went right through. In the couple of weeks before I could repair it, that same child, who shall remain nameless, kept sticking her hand in the hole and making it even larger. I'm pretty sure that a few things got dropped down it as well!

That's when I learned to repair dry wall, and replicate a textured surface. Oh, and install more effective doorstops!

Heather said...

I thought this story was funny but after reading your mom's comment. I am laughing out loud now. I guess what goes around comes around. Lol. Have fun during your drywall repair lesson. :)