Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Tales of John

John is really a sweet boy.  I have to give some of the credit for his sweetness to his dad.  The boys have grown up not only hearing from their dad that mommy is pretty, but have also been encouraged to tell me that I'm pretty.  One morning I was getting ready for church and decided to try on a dress that I had not been able to wear in a long time.  The dress fit and I was excited, but had decided not to wear it since I wanted more of a sleeve for church. John came into the room before I could change, took one look at me and said, "Mommy that dress is spectacular".  How could I not wear that dress?

For VBS (Vacation Bible School) the kids learned the hymn "God's Own Child I Gladly Say It".  This can be a difficult hymn to learn, but kids have brains like sponges and they could all proudly sing the first two verses by the end of the week.  I was going over the words with John and he kept singing, "God's own child I gladly sing it" and I would tell him that the words were "...I gladly say it."  "Why Mom?  I'm not saying it, I'm singing it."

John has been going to VBS for 3 years now.  But this year he heard it called  Vacation Bible School whereas in other years he has just heard VBS.   John kept asking everyone when the vacation started since they were already in Bible school.  We tried explaining several times that Vacation Bible School referred to a time when kids were on vacation from school, but the concept was lost on him.  I think we are just going to go back to calling it VBS.

John loves all things church related, school related, social related.  To put it simply, John love all things.  He has particularly honed in on Sunday School because we didn't have that in Denver.  He loves everything about Sunday School and looks forward to it each week.  One week I was preparing him in the car on the way to church that he wouldn't be having Sunday School that day.  He was very upset.  To get all the unpleasantness over in one sitting I informed him that for the two weeks we were on vacation he would also not be going to Sunday School because a lot of churches don't have Sunday School in the summer.  "And why not?" he asked.  I explained that many people travel during the summer and sometimes there just aren't a lot of kids.  I told him sometimes there could only be one kid.  "Well, shouldn't that one kid have Sunday School?"  I found I could not argue with him about this since he was quite right.


No comments: