Monday, February 2, 2015

Minecraft Cakes

I was asked to make a Minecraft cake for a little boy's birthday party. I'm sure all they were thinking of and expecting was a sheet cake with some simple Minecraft image piped on.  But I decided to try out a couple of new fondant recipes and some new tools.  I ended up making two cakes because they wanted half white, half chocolate and this was the easiest way for me to do that.

 I don't actually play Minecraft.  After doing some image searches I was able to find that this looks like part of the game.  That ends my Minecraft knowledge.

 This one took FOREVER!  Each tile is cut out and placed by hand.  About a quarter of the way through I was really regretting my decision to do this.  But I'm glad I pushed through.

Everything is edible (well, not the toothpicks).  I regret that I didn't take a picture of this cake before I started packaging it up for travel.  The toothpicks were there to ensure the pickaxe didn't topple over in the car.

It's been a couple of months since I tackled this cake and I might take on a project like this again.  I said MIGHT. It was hours of work.  I now know why our wedding cake was so expensive.

No comments: