Wednesday, August 20, 2014

My Travels Abroad: Wittenberg

We arrived in Wittenberg around 4 pm.  By this time I was less than coherent.  I was waiting in the hotel lobby for Hans when I saw a group of  laughing kids, and in the middle of these laughing kids is my hubby.  I felt as if they swarmed around me when they found out who I was.  I met a ton of kids whose names I regrettably don't remember.  But you'll have to give me a break because I hadn't slept in over 22 hours.  If I could have laid my head down and closed my eyes I would have slept til morning.  But I had just enough time to shower and change before the farewell dinner and service for the youth conference attendees.  I had a wonderful time meeting everyone...even though I'm sure I burst some of their bubbles by saying that I don't watch my husband's videos.  I'm sure it would blow their minds to hear that I don't find them funny.  I know, I know.  I'm not a very good wife.  Or, maybe I'm the best wife ever.  He knows I love him for him and not for his Lutheran popularity.  I digress.  After a wonderful church service I went to bed and slept for about 12 glorious hours.

The next morning we got up and explored Wittenberg.

 This is the Katharinenportal. Luther's wife, Katherine, gave this door/entryway to him as a birthday gift in 1540.

 Katherine von Bora, Luther's wife.  You can see that the ring on her left pointer finger is shiny.  Evidently it is good luck to rub her ring.

 Yep, that is my hubby.

 I'm not sure I could ever get tired of these views. Even the streets were beautiful.

 You could tell that Wittenberg and the surrounding villages are gearing up for the 500th anniversary of the nailing of the 95 Theses.  The anniversary will be in 2017 and many of these villages have a bit of construction and cleaning happening to the buildings.


 As you can see the Castle Church is under construction. This is the church where Luther nailed his 95 Theses in 1517.

 The 95 Theses.

 The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS), our church body, owns a building they are currently restoring.  This is called the Wittenberg Project.


We had another relaxing night in Wittenberg and took off the next day for Erfurt.

No comments: