Tuesday, August 12, 2014

My Travels Abroad: Berlin

Hans wrote a satirical play.  I'll let that statement sink in...because it is hard to believe my husband being satirical <insert eye roll here>.  But this play earned him a trip to Germany for the Confessional Line Youth Conference put on by Advent Lutheran Church in Zionsville, IN.  Youth from Indiana, Wyoming and Minnesota traveled to Germany and met youth from Germany, Sweden, and Norway.  This group remained together for a week to learn, socialize and take in the sites.  During the week they did a reading of Hans' play.  I'm told it was funny. (Editor's Note: It was hilarious.)

After the week was over there was another group flying in from the states to start a week long Heritage Tour of Germany and France.  John and Solveig were very kind and paid for me to fly over and for Hans and I to enjoy the week with them and members of their church.  It was a wonderful trip.  I took a lot of pictures.

Solveig and I, along with about 15 other church members, flew from Indiana to Berlin.  We arrived in Berlin at about 8 in the morning and hit the ground running.  Berlin was a little bit of a blur for me as I was half asleep.  But I learned a thing or two.

 This is a piece of the Berlin wall in the Allied Museum, located in the Dahlem neighborhood of Berlin.

 Also apart of the Allied Museum is Checkpoint Charlie.  Checkpoint Charlie was the best known crossing point between East and West Berlin.  Now it is a big tourist attraction and men stand their dressed as soldiers so tourists can stand in LONG lines and take pictures.

 The parts of the Berlin wall that are still standing are almost all covered in graffiti art.

The gate was constructed between 1788-1791.  The US Consulate is located just to the left.

After our tour of Berlin we were driven to Wittenberg where we met up with the youth conference attendees.   

No comments: