Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Museum of Science and Industry

While my grandparents, Aunt Diane and her kids, Jimmy and Ericka were visiting last month we went to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.  I remember going to this museum several years ago with my church youth group.  I also remember how my Dad hated driving in Chicago.  Hated.  With a passion.  It was even worse that we were in a caravan with two 15 passenger vans and a minivan.  My dad doesn't show anger or frustration very often so this was rather comical.  I'm sure he didn't think so.

But on to our day at the museum.  The boys really enjoyed their time but it was a little old for them.  I'm anxious to go back when they are a bit older.

 The first exhibit we went to was one about weather.  They had this tornado and John was just fascinated with this.  They also had exhibits about avalanches, thunderstorms and lightening, but the tornado was John's favorite.

John wanted to get in one of these planes hanging from the ceiling.  He didn't understand why they would have these planes there if you couldn't get in them.

 Once John saw what was underneath the planes he totally forgot about wanting to ride in the planes.  Underneath was a huge train exhibit.  John and Gus loved watching the trains go through the tiny cities.

Gus asked everyone to pick him up.  He sure loved watching the trains with his Great Grandpa.

 Gus steering a ship.

 It didn't take long for the boys to figure out that if you stepped on the colored strips it would make a sound.  It was kinda like a big keyboard.  We stayed here for a LONG time.

 The funny mirrors were also a big hit.

 For most of the mirrors poor little Gus was too short for them to make him look funny.

 As if we needed that head to get any bigger.



Then we went to an exhibit about farming.
 These John Deere tires are huge!  Jimmy looks pretty comfortable there.

 I always have hope that we can get a decent picture with all of the kids...

Oh well.  Maybe next time.

1 comment:

Maanum's Meandering Musings said...

From the time I was John's age until I was 13 or so, my birthday outing was going either here or the Field Museum. I always like this one better, but we had to alternate because the family would not want to go two years in a row to the same one.

Also, Ephraim is in a big 'Hold You' phase right now. Sometime's it's adorable. Other times, like when Jen's carrying Tabi down the stairs and he complains, it's not.